Major issues in play during the referendum were:
- Dishonest implementation of HST weeks after an election in which voters were told it was not under consideration;
- Implementation of a massive change by the Premier and Finance Minister without caucus or cabinet consultation;
- The HST was a $2 billion a year transfer of tax from corporations to consumers, with almost no flow through of savings by way of lower prices.
The referendum result comes despite potentially overwhelming efforts for the losing side by the entire provincial government, stenographers of the corporate press and radio mouthpieces who had already sold their loyalty to business groups that provided generous financial inducements in return for favourable treatment.
The HST outcome appears to reflect the financial status of voters. Voting strongly to keep HST in place:
- West Vancouver,
- North Vancouver Seymour,
- Vancouver Quilchena, Point Grey, False Creek, Fairview,
- Delta South,
- Oak Bay-Gordon Head.
- Vancouver Kingsway, Kensington, Hastings, Fraserview,
- East Richmond,
- North Island,
Recommend this post