Sunday, July 12, 2009

Freedom of expression, perhaps

For this post, I planned to review the Supreme Court of Canada decision in the BC case regarding advertising that discomforted our political establishment. In it, the Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority appealed against a loss in British Columbia's Appeal Court in their dispute with the Canadian Federation of Students and BC Teacher's Federation.

The Supreme Court of Canada issued a decision that reinforces the right to express political thoughts in public places. I thought I would condense a lengthy written judgment and show a few important paragraphs that clarified the rights of small groups to speak out against those who hold power. I believe this is an enormous issue. Freedom of expression ought not to be interfered with by political and commercial forces.

Yet, as I tried to deconstruct the wordy judgment, I could not condense it without losing some of its power. For that reason, I restrict my comments and invite you to read the judgment.
Recommend this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTING

This is an archive only of items published before April 22, 2016. These and newer articles are available at:

https://in-sights.ca/

If you read an article at this blogger site, you can comment on it at the new site.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.